Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Girl After My Own Heart

The other day Carly was at the grocery store with me, which doesn't happen as often anymore since I try to go on the mornings when she's at school.  That way I only have to take one kid to the store with me.  But last week it didn't work out to shop with just one companion.  So while we were there, I let her pick out a box of valentine's.  I know it's early, but sometimes in Juneau you gotta get what you want when you want it and not wait until the last minute because it might be gone by then.  So she picked out some Dora cards to give her friends this year.

She basically begged me to let her start them as soon as we got home.  I was thinking that opening the box too early was a bad idea.  It just gives opportunity to lose cards or use them for other things, and then there wouldn't be enough to give to her classmates.  But my lovely husband thought I was encouraging her to procrastinate.  So I gave in a couple of days later and let her start by making up some cards for friends and family.  She and I came up with a list of names and I wrote them out so she could see the spellings.  I helped her get a few going, and then went about my other "things to do".  When I came back by she looked like this:

Notice the organized piles she created.  The blank ones are all stacked by size.  The finished ones are folded and also organized by size.  The pencil, list, sticker sheet, and beverage all have their places as well.  Ahhh!  Beautiful isn't it?

Now, I have a lovely friend, Jody, who is very nice and occasionally tells me how organized she thinks I am.  Jody is a sweetie, but I also think she's giving me a bit too much credit.  I'm not completely disorganized, but there are SOOOO many areas that I'd like to be better organized in.  (I saw an article in the lastest Real Simple magazine about organizing and I was totally wishing the pantry in the photo was mine....sigh.)
So, I'd like to be better at my own organizing, but isn't it nice to see a little preschooler trying to be even just a little bit organized too?  Ahh, she's a girl after my own heart.

And by the way, momma was right.  We've misplaced or used too many cards and now there's not enough for her school friends.  So...I picked up another box at the store today.  Do I dare say, "I told you so?"

5 comments:

Lela Paden said...

She looks pretty proud of herself in this picture with her organized piles. I haven't even thought of valentine cards yet. I'm thinking we will make our own.

As for the "I told you so" I'm sure you having to buy another box was enough to let him know "I told you so." :-)

Olivia Orsborn said...

that's wonderful! carly is such a sweetheart! you are an amazing mother and it shows when your little ones do things such as this!

great job mom!

Bill and Amanda said...

so which is more satisfying, i told you so or see a young girl following in the footsteps of her beloved mother? choose one and be content:)
bill

Jared & Karen said...

Very sweet! By the way, where did "Keeping Up with the Joneses" blog go on your list?!? ;)

Rachel said...

Karen, I just changed a bunch of stuff last night. and I had a feeling I was skipping a few addresses. sorry I was just too tired last night to double check all my updates. I'll add it this morning. don't worry :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails