Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter 2010

This week has just been flying by for us.  I've been meaning to post a recap of our Easter festivities for days now, and here we are on Wednesday night already.  Oh, well.  Hope you enjoy the look at how we celebrated the day.

Here's the precious little yayhoos in their Easter finest.
 This was the first year that I've made an Easter dress for the little girly, and come to think of it, it's basically the first garment I've ever made for her.  I was pretty careful to choose a pattern that would be as easy as possible for me.  So that didn't leave her with much choice, but she did pick out the fabric.  Then I decided since patterns were on sale, I'd go all out and make a necktie for the little man.  It really wasn't hard, just a bit more time consuming than it should be for the amount of body surface that it actually covers.  Anyway, I'm really pleased with how their outfits turned out.  In fact, the little man's pretty much came together the day before.  I had completely forgotten that someone from my hometown had hand-me-downed this adorable sport coat to us months ago.  Good thing I was talking to my mom the day before so she could remind me of it.  I think it really makes the outfit.  In fact, it's possible that I just might have had thoughts along the lines of "I hope we're having another boy because then he could wear this outfit too".  That possibly may have gone through my mind.  Maybe...

Anyway, Easter morning discovering their baskets.
And then diving in
We also made Resurrection Rolls for the first time this year.  I've seen some ideas for this on the web and our church did this for a VBS snack a few years ago.  So I decided to give it a try this year.  As I suspected, the little girly thought the whole idea including the symbolism was great, and the little man was happy with some sweet bread.
First we took two refrigerator biscuits and put a large marshmallow on one.
Then we sandwiched them together and SEALED them closed (pinched the edges down with our fingers).
Then we SEALED them in the oven, just as Christ's body was sealed in the tomb.
After they baked, we opened them to reveal an "empty tomb".  The marshmallows evaporated into the biscuits leaving a hollow space.
The only thing I think I'll do differently the next time, is use crescent rolls rather than biscuits.  Then I'll put one marshmallow in the center of the roll dough and wrap it up.  We ended up having to bake the double biscuit version much longer than we had anticipated because there was so much dough.  I think the wrapped crescent roll would be closer to the recommended baking time.

Since Easter fell on the first Sunday of the month this year, we had our monthly potluck with our church family following our worship service.  The food was very good, and even better, the dessert was too.
After the potluck, we had a big egg hunt for the kids.  Since we woke up to about 3 inches of snow on Easter morning, we had the hunt indoors.  (I know, snow for Easter!  Blah!)  But having it indoors didn't bother my little hunters.  They loved it!
By this time, we were ready to get back home.  I had just enough energy to shovel some snow off my crocuses and take a few pictures of the kids outside in their Easter outfits, before we all took a well deserved nap.
Hope you all had a fantastic Easter and that you enjoyed the many blessings our Father in heaven has given us--most importantly His Son.



8 comments:

Amy in Edmond said...

I'm impressed you made a tie. I don't have any desire to tackle a tie.p

John and Megan said...

So cute. Great idea with the bread. Looks like fun. I'm so impressed that you're able to do so much and prego on top of it! Go mama!

Anonymous said...

Wow the kids outfits turned out great. Isaac is a little ham.:)Thanks for the pictures. Love, MOM

Marilyn said...

Good job on the sewing Rachel! Doesn't it feel so good when things turn out so well after spending time on them ?! I think Issace looks just like Shawn in that 1st picture of him w/ his Easter basket!

Rachel said...

Amy, really the tie wasn't that hard. You could totally make one, and probably do it in half the time that it took me.
Megan, my secret is called "the second trimester". But truth be told, I probably over did it a little.
Mom, he's a huge ham!
Marilyn, it does feel so good to be successful with a sewing project and then have it well received by the recipient.
Glad you all enjoyed a look at our day.

Sharon Thompson said...

Glad you guys had such a fun day. Those kids are just too cute! Way to go on the sewing projects :)

Jared & Karen said...

I really like the pattern you used for Carly's dress. The fabric is pretty, too.

Unknown said...

I love the idea of the "tomb" rolls. I'll have to try that. And great work on the kids new Easter outfits. They are so cute! Of course I'm not biased!! :-)
Love Grandma

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails