Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sights from the 4th

We had a pretty good, but wet 4th of July this year.  The fabulous weather we had last year really set some high expectations for me.  I mean look at this picture I took last year.  You can almost see the sweat and warmth of the day on her face.
This year was about as opposite of weather as you could get.  But despite the cool weather and rain, we still got out and did just about everything we did last year. And now that we've been here a few years, we've learned there are some "must sees" to a proper Juneau 4th of July celebration.  Here's a photo recap of how we checked all the necessary details off our list to celebrate the birth of our country.

fire engines at the parade...check
the police department color guard...check
the Juneau Volunteer Marching Band...check
(apparently this trombone player didn't get the memo to wear a crazy hat)
(oh, whew!  she got the memo)
the Philippino community parade entry...check (always a highlight)
(Only problem this year is that their colorful bird costumes scared the living daylights out of the little missy.  She was cowering behind me when she saw them making their way back up the street on the outbound side of the road.)
the toe tapping beat from the percussion group of the Phillippino community parade entry...check
the Phillippino princesses...check
(not sure how this gets decided...maybe it was just Shirley's turn to be queen this year?)
classic cars with waving politicians...check
classic cars with flames spitting out the back...check
shriners in mini cars...check

little girls in kilts and xtra tuff boots (this is Juneau after all)...check
bagpipe players following the kilted girls...check
ballerina's with tutus and xtra tuffs (told you this was Juneau)...check
cops on bike patrol...check
heavy equipment from one of the local mines...check
cute kids watching the parade...double check

a fun fireworks show to finish off the night...check
Hope you enjoyed your 4th of July celebrations whether they were familiar sights or new ones.

2 comments:

Amy in Edmond said...

Our parade had all the normal things in it also, including 2 Arbuckle boys walking with the Boy Scouts. I forgot to take my camera. We had to be there at 8:00am for the boys to line up.

John and Megan said...

We were in Victor, ID and decided to skip the parade, skip the fireworks, and skip Glen Beck speaking at the park. We went and canoed a section of the Snake River in Grand Teton National Park instead. When we got home Sunday night we were too tired to stay up for the fireworks. We hit the sheets happily! Archie woke up around 6am throwing a big fit because it wasn't dark and there were no fireworks. Oops.
Thought of you today, I had a small serge of energy today and decided to cut the grass. The mower ran out of gas when I had about a 6ft square left. I broke the gas can last time I tried to put gas in the mower, so now I'm not allowed. Oh well :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails