So has it been long enough?
For those of you who made a new year's resolution to eat better, has it been long enough that I can post about these delicious treats? Yeah, I figured so. :)
Exactly two days into the new year and "eating better" resolutions for many people, I brought Chocolate Marshmallow Whoopie Pies to our monthly potluck at church. Despite their timing, they were a hit! I think the next time we have a dessert auction fundraiser, I need to bring these because they just might earn a pretty penny for the cause.
I got the recipe here, but it originally came from Martha.
For some time now I've seen recipes for whoopie pies and even watched a whole Bobby Flay Throwdown episode about them. So making them was definitely at the top of my list. But these were actually my second time making whoopie pies.
A few weeks before Christmas, Shawn informed me that he had signed "us" up for a cookie exchange at work. All we had to do was bring 7 1/2 dozen cookies into work in four days (from when I was informed) and then we'd come home with a mixture of cookies to enjoy/share with friends and neighbors. A nice idea, but I was pretty sure I wasn't going to have time for such things. I was a bit annoyed to say the least that my husband had signed "us" up for this exchange.
Without the option of backing out, we decided on a seasonal version, a pumpkin whoopie pie with cream cheese filing. I was excited to make them even though it meant making180 cookies to get 7 1/2 dozen whoopie pies. The night before the cookies were due for turn in, I was cranking them out, but fading fast. I let Shawn know that I was going to call it a night, make the filling, assemble and deliver the finished cookies in the morning--after I got myself and 3 kids ready to go mind you! (crazy!) I don't know how I thought I was going to do this, but I was pretty sure I couldn't stay up any longer to finish the task before sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I was alarmed to find the kitchen table bare of all the cookies I had baked the night before. I actually went into a moment of panic. Then I realized that there were other changes in the kitchen from when I had gone to bed--different dishes in the sink, etc. I threw open the fridge and found the finished pumpkin whoopie pies all packed up and ready to go. Sometime around 4 am, when Shawn had gotten home from work, he finished them for me. What a guy! He knew how overwhelmed I was getting that week and how the cookie exchange was just a bit too much for me. So as it turned out "we" did participate in the cookie exchange. And I'm very glad, because I couldn't have done it by myself.
The classic Chocolate Marshmallow Whoopie Pie just might be my favorite. However, I've never tried Red Velvet Whoopie Pies. That recipe is now on my list. :)


4 comments:
I made those pumpkin whoopie pies also and YEAH they were good! They went fast at our small group. Now I may need to find a reason to make the chocolate marshmallow ones.
Wait until your kids start volunteering you for projects.
What a team--way to go!! 180 whoopie pie cookies sounds like a lot!
Mmmm they look good. I've always wanted to try whoopie pies.
Post a Comment