Now that's sayin' something, huh? The BEST homemade brownies I've ever made. That's what Shawn told me these were. You see lately I've been on a quest to find a really good homemade brownie. Actually I've been on several cooking related quests lately, but for now, just the brownie quest. This quest really hinges on what kind of a brownie person you are. You have to decide between: chewy or cake-like, nuts or no nuts, frosting or no frosting. For me, I'm definitely in the chewy, no nuts camp, and I favor the no frosting versions. So over the past few months I've been experimenting with different brownie recipes in search of one that meets all these standards and tastes fantastic. I suppose my quest could be over now that I've made these and received such a positive response from my family. But come on people, we're taking brownies here. What could continuing the quest hurt? After all, who knows if I might find another really good brownie recipe. And one can never have too many good brownie recipes.
Here is the recipe:
The Best Homemade Brownies I've Ever Made
aka: Double Chocolate Brownie Bars
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 350*F. Grease a 9x13x2 inch baking pan.
2. Place butter and 1 cup chocolate chips in a medium or large saucepan. Melt over medium heat stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Stir with spoon until smooth. Stir in remaining 1 cup chocolate chips. Spread batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
Adapted from: Hershey's Classic Recipes cookbook
If you make these sometime, I hope you enjoy them as much as we did and will again! :)


6 comments:
I have a recipe that makes a big batch of brownies, like an 11X17" pan, a quick recipe, and of course my families favorite, chocolate chip cookie dough brownies. But my favorite all time brownie is from the Ghiradelli box.
Mmm they look good. I'll have to try them. You could also leave some of the chocolate chips unmelted. Love, MOM
I like your mom's idea. Never mind the brownies...Rachel, your photography skills really are improving. That was the first think I noticed about the brownies. Good job. I also noticed your skills in the previous post.
If these were the brownies I had last week, I'm definitely making them!
Sounds yummy! I may have to try them to see if you're right... I've never really thought homemade brownies were quite as good as the boxes. Of course, w/my recent acid reflux diagnosis, I've been off chocolate. So maybe I shouldn't try them. :)
Amy many of the teens in our youth group are big fans of your chocolate chip cookie dough brownies. But Shawn doesn't care so much for cookie dough in general so I don't usually make those for him.
And mom, half of the chocolate chips are mixed in last so there's lots of chocolate chunks in the brownies too.
Thanks, Megan. Having a good new camera helps too.
And yes Amanda they were.
Kelly, no chocolate is a tragedy! But if it works to help you feel better then I guess it might be worth it. :)
Post a Comment