"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance."
Ecclesiastes 3:1-4
Tuesday morning started VERY early for me with a phone call from the husband of my good friend. My friend was in labor, they were at the hospital, and their 3 year old daughter would be dropped off at my house by another friend on their way to work. I was excited for the impending arrival of this little one--I almost couldn't go back to sleep. He did indeed come on that day. It was his time to be born.
Tuesday night ended with another phone call. This one came from my mom telling me that her dad, my grandpa had passed away. Naturally, I was sad to hear he had gone, but I was also relieved for him. Relieved that he was no longer in pain due to the lung cancer he had been fighting for the past few years. The last few years have been tough on my grandparents, epecially the past few months. As my grandma says, "growing old isn't for wimps".
The comforting news is that my Grandpa was a wonderful man that loved God even more than he loved and cared for his family. His involvement with God's church family was more than just a routine, it was a reflection of his true love for God. I remember many Sunday mornings at their house, while staying for the weekend, when Grandpa would be busy preparing to go to church where he would often lead singing. The sound of his strong bass voice will ring clear in my memory.
He also enjoyed having and using a hot tub. When I was very young I remember diving into the center of the hot tub thankful for what seemed like my own personal heated pool that Grandpa and Grandma kept ready for me to use when I came for a visit.
Gardening was a huge hobby for Grandpa and he loved tending to things in his green house or the yard. I always wanted him to show me the lastest plants and flowers that were growing and blooming in his green house. I particularly loved to see his huge Bird of Paradise plant.
There were also so many summer time outings that I can recall going on as a child with my grandparents and cousins. Every one I can think of included Grandpa driving, Grandma packing up the trusty picinic basket with lunch, and us cousins piled into the back of their car. He was always happy to take us on adventures to places near their home.
But even more than those childhood memories, the one I think of with the fondest affection was when my grandparents visited me and their first great grandchild in the hosptial. The little missy was just a few hours old when they arrived. I'm pretty sure they dropped what they were doing and started the two hour trek to the hospital within an hour of getting a phone call. The joy in seeing their first grandchild was evident on both of their faces. I'm so thankful for the photo above that Shawn took of Grandpa holding the little missy--it's my favorite of him.
His kind, gentle, faithful and loving life was an amazing example for many. I will miss him, especially his strong and loving hugs, but I'm glad he has been relieved of his earthly pain and can rest with God in heaven.
Love you, Grandpa!
6 comments:
Good morning Rachel: We can only say "amen" to the precious memories that you wrote about your Grandpa. Thanks for that and for your blog. We enjoy it. Love, Grandmom and Grandad
This is a really touching post. I'm glad that you're able to be down there right now.
Rachel~ Your post brought tears to my eyes! His legacy will live on with you and in your children. Love you my friend.
Sorry for your loss. Marilyn told me about your loss.
I'm glad you could spend time with family. Your grandpa's memory will continue to be a blessing!
I'm so sorry for your loss... what a blessing for the HOPE Christ brings! Thankful He's resting in Jesus' arms!!
Post a Comment