Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Homemade Graham Crackers

This summer I had the opportunity to try making graham crackers.  We had a small group over to celebrate my brother-in-law's birthday around a campfire in our backyard.  Since my sister-in-law was bringing over the bulk of the food for the party, I offered to make graham crackers and have some s'more ingredients.  I at least am really glad I did because I enjoyed the best s'more I've ever had.  Hands down!  And I know it was the softer, delicious homemade graham cracker that made the difference.   
Since the backyard party I've made these crackers a few other times and we've always enjoyed them.  I'm even planning to make them next week for the little man's pre-school class.

I also made them for the little man's birthday party.  It was a dinosaur theme and they were a roaring hit! :-)  Making your own graham crackers is really just as simple as making sugar cookies but without the mess of frosting or sprinkles to worry about.  And as a bonus they are WAY better than the store bought version.  I generally double this recipe if I'm going to share any so I make sure we have plenty to enjoy at home.


Graham Crackers
slightly adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
½ cup all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 T honey
1 T molasses
¼ cup water, plus a little more if it is too dry
Combine all the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Cut in the butter until the texture is dry and crumbly.  (I don't have a food processor so I use my kitchen aide mixer with the paddle attachment and it seems to work just fine.)
In a small bowl, mix the honey, molasses, and water. Mix with the dry ingredients until blended in the food processor. Pulse the dough until it forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll the dough out thin and cut with cookie cutters. Or you can do the traditional graham cracker shape. If you do this cut them into rectangles and poke each cracker with a fork. Place them on an cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper if desired.
Bake for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown and crisp. (Depending on the size and thickness of your crackers they will bake at different rates.  For the shapes shown here, I usually start watching the first pan at 10-12 minutes and bake until golden brown.  Then repeat the bake time with the next rounds.)  Store in an air tight container. They will keep for a week or more.
This wild child agrees.  They're delicious!

3 comments:

NHinds said...

Great idea Rachel, they look good. I'll have to try them. I guess you could save the scraps of the cut-outs and make crumbs for pie crust. --Mom

helen hinds said...

Just hearing about the home made s"mores makes our mouths water. We had fun reading about your chicks tonight as well. They look as clean and well cared for as your children chicks. Thanks for the pictures. Love, Grandmom and Granddad

Marilyn said...

Yum, those look good! I'll have to try the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails