So random.org, we have 8 contestants. Who will it be?
#3 you say? Well that would be Lela.
How did I luck out? She's the only one out of all 8 that is local and I won't have to make a trip to the post office to get it to.
Congrats, Lela. Let me know what you would like: the mug, the tumbler, or a $10 gift card to starbucks or heritage.
Thanks again to everyone for playing and sharing the things they've done recently "just for fun". I really enjoyed reading all your comments.
*******************************************
So with a mischievous 2 1/2 year old in our house, we were fresh out of "bubble juice". It seemed every time the kids were blowing bubbles in the backyard, a puddle of sudsy water would appear on or near the back step. We had plenty of formerly full bottles and wands, so I thought it would be fun to make our own. I looked through some of my kid craft and idea books and found a great recipe. It's made from simple ingredients that you probably already have at home--and it really works!!!! Quite well actually. Here's some proof.
So here's the recipe we used. Straight out of The Ultimate Book of Kid Concoctions by John Thomas and Danita Pagel. (I think I picked this book up at a garage sale years...and years ago.)World's Best Bubbles
2 1/2 quarts of water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup liquid dish detergent
(I halved the recipe and it was plenty for us to enjoy for one afternoon plus we had lots left over for more sunny days in the near future.)
1. Mix water and corn syrup together until completely blended.
2. Gently stir in the liquid dish detergent.
3. Bubbles will store for several weeks in an airtight container.
Tips and Ideas:
*Add a little color to your bubbles by stirring in a few drops of food coloring.
*Create bubbles in many different sizes by dipping various items such as a small plastic basket or a wire whisk into the bubble solution.
Here's our left over bubble solution that didn't fit into the smaller bubble bottles.
And no, it's not moonshine!
Just so you know, if you do try this recipe, your kids may just think you're amazing for whipping up "bubble juice" out of no where. That possibility right there may be enough of a reason to give it a try, huh?Hope you're enjoying some summer days like we are.







2 comments:
I have that book! When my grandsons were younger we made several of the conncoctions in the summer. Two favorites beside the bubbles were: Magic Muck and Instant Volcano. Good memories! Kathryn
Whoo Hooo!!! Yeah, I actually won :) It pays to be local. Think I'll go for the $10.00 Heritage card. Yeah... Good Coffee Here I Come.
Thanks Rachel for the fun post and I think I will try the bubble recipe. Especially today when the weather is good and I hurt my knee.
Post a Comment