This recipe is quickly becoming one of our family's favorite chicken meals. It is ridiculously delicious and quite simple to prepare. Plus I REALLY like to use my crock pot and a recipe that uses a "cut" of meat that I can often find on sale is another bonus.
I've started buying several whole fryer chickens whenever our local Fred Meyer has them on coupon sale. Then I put them directly into the freezer and pull it out to defrost a day before I plan to make this meal. Whenever I make this, there's always plenty of meat for our family for several meals.
So if I haven't convinced you yet of your need to make this recipe, let me also throw in that it's gluten free. Mmhmm! Perfect for my sister-in-law or best friend or anyone you might be cooking for that needs GF food.
I originally found the recipe quite randomly here. But I'll list the recipe in my post for you as well.
Yep, you're welcome.
Rotisserie Style Crock-pot Chicken
source: Stephanie O'Dea1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 lbs.)
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of chili powder (optional)
4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)
Rinse and skin the chicken. Remove the neck and giblets from the cavity. Save for another purpose or discard.
In a bowl combine all of the dry spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the bird, inside and out.
Place the bird inside the crock pot, breast side down.
If desired, place the garlic and onion inside the cavity.
Do not add water.
Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8 hours.
When the cooking in complete, I usually let the bird rest on a cutting board for a few minutes. Then I carve and plate nearly half of it for that night's dinner. The rest gets used in other dishes that call for cooked chicken.
Sorry I didn't have more pictures of this recipe. I thought I did, but can't seem to find them. If I find where they are hiding I'll add them later.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know how you liked it.
Happy Eating!
3 comments:
I totally saw this on pinterest yesterday and thought I might try it. Now I have to! Hope I can find chicken on sale. Wish I had an extra freezer to stock up!
I used to make a recipe similar to this. However, these days, I can't tell if the chickens are getting smaller or if my family just eats that much more! A whole chicken only seems to last us one meal. But I'm noticing your chicken filled your big crock pot. The chickens here are filling only my small crock pot. Hum...
Thanks for the recipe Rachel. I copied it and may do it tomorrow when Karen and Jared and children come for dinner. It sounds like a great recipe.
Post a Comment