Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mother of the Year

Yes, that's me. I'm definitely in the running for this coveted prize. I believe my ordeal the other night will lock in my nomination for sure. (Just to be clear the previous sentences are dripping with sarcasm.)

Monday afternoon, I was at the store with Isaac. It was one of those days where it was like pulling teeth to get a few free minutes from needing kids to get things done. Anyway, when I finished shopping I pushed the cart with Isaac in the seat out to the car/Jeep. It was cold, 37, so I decided to start the car and buckle Isaac in first to get him out of the breeze and chilly air. So, I put the important things, my son and my purse, in the car. Then I started the car, closed the door, and walked to the lift gate to put the groceries in. The only problem was that the lift gate was locked. And I soon realized that all the doors were locked. That's right, I managed to lock my keys in the car with it running and Isaac buckled in his carseat.

I think I did a fairly good job of not panicking, but it was hard. I quickly noticed a mother and teen daughter sitting in a car just one over from me. They looked like they were waiting for someone who was shopping inside. Anyway, I asked to borrow their cell phone and called Shawn who was fortunately at home with Carly. He answered and was soon on his way to my rescue.

The good news is that Isaac fell asleep and wasn't freaking out. I was also thankful that it wasn't snowing or raining or gusting or a crazy negative temperature while I was standing outside the car.

The only bad news was that I had to wait in the cold breeze and feel so incredibly ridiculous. But then again, it gave me time to figure out this blog post in my head.

Another nice detail to the story is that my good samaritans in the car next door, turned up at a card stamping thing I went to the next day. I should have known that such helpful rescuers would be stampers/scrapers.

The only thing I can figure is that I accidentally bumped the lock button with my gloved fingers. I believe I can honestly say that I've never even locked my keys in the car. But now I can say that at least I didn't hold back and do it half way.

I'm sure there are some of you out there who have had similar experiences. I know Hiedi Picker, an old OC friend of mine has had a similar experience. Here's her story.
So if you've got a story, I'd like to hear it.

Isaac (attempting to eat rice in October), the unknowing victim of Momma's mistake.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's nothing Isaac...Let me tell you about my parents "not" locking the car door with four kids in the back seat driving through Westfield NJ at 35mph. When I was 5 yrs old we were on the way home from church one Sunday afternoon, almost home and 200-ft from our driveway, the R/R car door swung open at 15mph and I rolled out of the backseat of our Chevy Bel-Aire on a left turn like a hedge hog in a nice 2-pc suit! Dazed, I shook it off and limped on home to greet my family, who were just getting out of the 4-door sedan wondering if I was still at church. Ahh, the good old days - before seat belts.
-Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Okay, your nomination for mother of the year is better than mine. I let the kids(Bill is included in the word kids) a Chihuahua puppy this summer and told them that I could be mother of the year for 2 years. We still have Butler and he has done a pretty good job of teaching the new ankle biter.

Kelly T said...

No worries! If I recall correctly, the quad mom locked all four in at the same time.

And while I haven't locked Sophie in the car, Ben and I did let her tumble down a whole flight of stairs!

Anonymous said...

Not as dramatic but I locked my grandsons and myself out of the house several years ago. While we were waiting for Rachel to drive from town (Mike was out-of-town) Tim wanted to break into the house. We were glad the weather wasn't too bad for us either. Kathryn

Marilyn said...

I'm so glad that Shawn could rescue you (&Issac) so quickly!

No stories like that yet, but I'll let you know when it happens!

Marilyn said...

Oh yea, and Kelly is right, the quad mom did lock all 4 in once!

Jason said...

I don't have a story like that to share...yet. I am sure those days will come. Glad you all managed to stay calm and were quickly rescued. - nicole

Campbell Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Campbell Family said...

Well, I have not locked Alex in the car (yet), but I have locked myself out with the engine running before. When we were in Hawaii, Rusty managed to lock us out of the car with the engine running at night while we were up on a viewpoint. Not a soul around, and no cell phone (we were returning from Japan). Eventually, a car with a bunch of young college guys drove up, and Rusty borrowed one of their phones and called AAA. We had to wait about 45 minutes for them to show up. It wasn't cold, but I had to pee like a racehorse, and there were no bathrooms. I finally dropped my pants and peed right there in the parking lot (no way I was going to trek off into the bushes in the dark!). We still laugh about that night -- and curse doors that lock automatically!

Rachel said...

The thing is that if Carly had been with me, there would have been no problem. She could have unbuckled herself and opened the doors for me. Unfortunately, she hadn't been obeying, so she didn't get to join me. See kids, it is important to obey your parents!
Rachel

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails