For the past week and a half I've been baby-sitting a 4-month old boy temporarily. It was just while his regular daycare lady was on vacation. Today was the last day I had him and I was pretty relieved at about 5pm. It wasn't all bad, of course. It's just hard to not be even a little demanding when you're a 4 month old. It also reminded me why the good Lord usually doesn't even make it possible for a mother to have two babies that are 11 months apart.Carly has been a HUGE helper over the last few days. In general, she is a great helper, but even more so with the extra baby. She was often entertaining the little baby or playing with Isaac so I could focus on the little guy. Or sometimes she was bringing me a bottle or throwing out a diaper. She has definitely earned her keep this week.
The picture above was a common sight this week. Often when the little guy was napping, she would put one of her baby dolls in his carseat and try to tote it around along with his diaper bag. She was usually "going to the store". And yes that is a doll in the picture and not the little baby. (It's just one of those life like dolls.)
One benefit to the little guy was that he usually took some phenomenal naps. His usual seemed to be one 3 hour nap and then also a 1 1/2 hour nap later on. Of course, like any good 4 month old he wasn't completely consistent. But with his long naps I was able to get quite a bit done around the house. The only down side to this was that I pretty much always "around the house". I tried very hard over that past few days to only do the errands that were absolutely necessary. Staying close to home proved to be a hidden blessing though.
On Wednesday afternoon, the little guy left a bit early for a doctor's appointment so I saved up all of my usual grocery store trips for that one afternoon with just my kids. Like, I said there was an advantage to not going out much over the past few days. At the grocery store the other day, I had so many things to purchase--since I hadn't been to the store in about a week--that when I got it all, I had enough to get a free turkey! A 19 pounder too! Now some of you may be thinking that I probably bought a bunch of stuff just to get the turkey, but actually I stuck pretty close to my list. It was just a big list this time. So I guess in a way, the little 4 month old earned me a free turkey, because if it wasn't for him I probably would have gone to the store at least twice in the week and just spread out the same purchases over a few trips. That would not have gotten me a free turkey. A silver lining to a sometimes challenging week.
The whole free turkey thing also makes me feel like some kind of coupon queen! Yipee! We'll be eating good this Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment